Thursday, May 27, 2010

Homemade Guacamole... YUM!!!




2 ripe avacados (not too ripe, you don't want them mushy)
1 roma tomato diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 small onion diced
splash lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
three shakes of tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup of sour cream



I smash my avocado with an old pastry blender. I want chunks left in my guacamole, but some do not. I then add all ingredients except for the sour cream and lemon juice. Mix well.

At this point stir in your lemon juice to keep it from turning brown.

Add in your sour cream... you will not taste the sour cream flavor, but it will help give you more guacamole and not be so expensive. It makes it creamier as well and more appealing to the eye. I also learned a trick from my sister. Store the pits from the avocado in the guacamole and it will keep it green longer.

Enjoy. Disclaimer... I was making up measurements. Play around with this... this is a basic recipe but I don't do measurements well... ha.... just keep playing with it to tweek it to your liking.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your disclaimer...I can't tell you how many times I have made something and then tried figure out how much a few shakes of this and a handful of that were!
    Guacamole is one of our favorite things to eat.

    I think I need some chips.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum- I love homemade guac but we haven't ever added sour cream. I'll have to give it a try!

    Melissa (@adventuroo)

    ReplyDelete