Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Broccoli, Cauliflower Delight Salad



One of the things I like most about cooking is adapting recipes. I, for instance, have seen this recipe so many different ways that it is not even funny. I also make it a lot of different ways. This salad originated as this...

Broccoli Delight Salad

1 lg. bunch fresh broccoli, cut in pieces (4 to 5 cups)
1 c. raisins
1/4 c. diced red onion
10 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
1 cup sunflower seeds
DRESSING:
3 to 4 tbsp. sugar
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. vinegar
Put washed, well drained broccoli pieces in large bowl; add raisins, onion, bacon and sunflower seeds. Mix together dressing ingredients; pour over salad. Yield: 6 servings.

However I added cauliflower to it as well as I had seen it done that way in the past. I then had to increase the dressing to one and a half... Thank GAWD I did so well in math class... who would have ever thought I would need it for a broccoli salad... I also have added things such as fugi apples sliced to mine, dried cherries, dried cranberries, cut up mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, shredded cheese. I always make sure that there is cauliflower, broccoli, the sunflower seeds (although I used honey roasted... just for the effects of helping my butt grow at a more rapid rate... nothing better...) bacon and red onion.... and the dressing as well of course. Then, after that it really depends upon my mood for the day (which interprets into what Carlie or the other kids are in the mood for... as we all know I will eat just about anything that suits my fancy.) This is a great summer salad, as you can eat it for dinner just alone, and never have to turn on the oven...... thank goodness for small miracles when we get old and grumpy with too hot of weather. I hope you enjoy this very versitile and wonderful salad... Just remember, there is a lot of fiber to this salad... as a friendly reminder. GRIN! And no, this is not an ad for Beano.

No comments:

Post a Comment