Monday, July 11, 2011

Easiest Ever Rhubarb Pound Cake



I know, I know, yet another Rhubarb recipe. I love it so very much... one of my favorite parts of the summer, and you, the readers are going to have to suffer with my obsession of the wonderful, very favorite thing. (my favorite thing today... it may change tomorrow of course)

This recipe was so good when a fellow banker, when I worked at the bank, brought for a potluck. Her name is Betty. Betty was always slower to learn the procedures at work, and had a difficult time dealing with irate customers over the phone. She was elderly. She had the most beautiful white to silver hair. She still is very pretty. Her husband, at the time was battling cancer... so she and I bonded right away. She is kind and she is caring... and she is anything but a banker. She is a listener, she is a nurturer, she is a mom and a grandma and a sweet lady, but banking wasn't her niche either. She would be the best volunteer at a hospital to visit sick people. She would be a wonderful woman to rock sick babies... she would be the best greeter at a church... as she makes people feel loved... it is just her way... but not a banker... she was lost in the industry. She and I were the cooks on the team. When she brought this dish in one day... she was reluctant to give me the recipe as it was... top secret. She pulled me into the corner as it was that much of a secret.

Here is what she told me...

Cut up rhubarb and put it into a 9x13 baking dish. Pour on sugar... when it looks like enough, pour an extra handful on top. Buy an instant pound cake, or short cake at the grocery store. Mix according to directions. Pour it on top of the rhubarb and bake as directed. When it is cooled, serve with either cream poured on top or whipped cream...

There you have it...

I used
9 stalks of rhubard
2 1/2 cups of sugar
PLUS...
and extra handful (for good measure as Betty told me to... remember rhubarb is sour...)

I then used the pound cake. I have used the shortcake as well. It is on the top shelf of the cake aisle at the grocery store. (Both the pound cake and short cake. I like the shortcake better, but both are excellent.)

I have also added strawberries to it in the past which is fantastic as well...

I cooked mine for 28 minutes. Keep an eye on it. I started at 20 minutes and added time.

ENJOY... Today I thought of Betty as I made this. Her husband died shortly before I exited the banking world. He was her world. I said a little prayer for her. She loved him so and she said this was one of his favorite dishes... Blessings on the journey Betty.

1 comment:

  1. I love rhubarb it is so aromatic and nice to eat:)
    I mostly use it in combination with other fruits;)

    ReplyDelete